Chafer Beetle Trap and Refills
Chafer Grub larvae can cause serious damage to lawns, killing roots and causing yellowing of the turf, which can start to feel spongy underfoot. The Chafer Grubs tend to cause significant damage from Autumn to Spring by which time the larvae are becoming fully grown.
Predatory birds and mammals may cause secondary damage by digging up turf in their search for an easy meal consisting of the large white grubs.
The Chafer Beetles is the perfect way to tell whether Chafer Grubs are present. This trap will catch adult beetles and give an early warning of Chafer Grub activity and the lawn damage that is likely to follow. It will also help reduce the numbers of egg laying adults in the surrounding area. By monitoring the trap contents, more accurate applications of nematodes or other lawn treatments can be applied against Chafer Grub larvae.
The Chafer Beetle Trap is supplied with a powerful attractant which attracts adult Chafer Beetles to the trap.The beetles are also attracted by the vanes on the top of the trap.They fly into the vanes and drop down into the funnel trap beneath.
The trap can be re-used each year by adding a new attractant capsule.
The trap should be placed in lawn areas in May and hung 25 - 50cm above ground level.
One trap will cover up to 2000sq m or half an acre.The attractant will remain active for 6 weeks.
Trap- Includes 1 x Trap and 1 x pheromone lure
Refill - Includes 1 x pheromone lure
Trap and Refill - Includes 1 x Trap and 2 x pheromone lures
1 Lure will give you around 6 weeks protection
How it Works: The pheromone trap catches the adult chafer beetle which will reduce the number of chafer grubs in your lawn, it will also give you a good indication of how severe your problem is.
Best time to use trap: Adults are present from May to July (climate dependant) so this is the optimum time to use the trap. We recommend setting the trap up in May.
Trap Positioning: Attach to a wooden stake or bamboo cane just above the ground approximate 25cm – 50cm high, preferably in full sun. One trap per large garden (1/2 acre) is recommended.
Trap Maintenance: Add water to a depth of 3cm with a small dash of washing up liquid into the bucket of the trap. Check the traps on a regular basis, at least twice a week. Top up the liquid in the bucket to the 3cm depth as and when required. One lure should last between 6-8 weeks.
Storage for lures: Store lures in a cool place away from direct sunlight and heat and do not open until ready to use. Always store lures sealed in original packaging and do not open until you need to use. They will last for 2 years when unopened.
Follow up with application of Chafer Grub nematodes in August- October.
Instructions for use:
1. Add water to a depth of 3cm with a small dash of washing up liquid into the bucket of the trap.
2. Attach the funnel to the bucket by aligning the slots on the funnel with the tabs on the bucket and twisting to lock together.
3. Attach the vanes on the bucket and lock them by pushing down. Be extremely careful when inserting the vanes because they are delicate.
4. Attach the lid to the vanes by aligning the 4 holes in the lid with the 4 pegs projecting from the top of the vanes. Carefully push the pegs into the holes so that the lid is fully attached.
5. Open one sachet which includes one lure and remove the lure(we recommend using gloves). Hold the lure at the bottom of the bubble with the narrow end of the pipette facing upwards so the lure attractant is sat in the bubble at the bottom. Snip off the top of the pipette and place this into the lure chamber so that the spout of the pipette points upwards so no liquid drips out. Refasten the cap.
6. Push the lure cage through the hole in the lid from above so that the cage effectively hangs below the lid.
7. Thread the supplied hanging cord through the two tab-holes on the lid and tie at both ends.
8. Attach to a wooden stake or bamboo cane just above the ground approximate 25cm – 50cm high, preferably in full sun. One trap per large garden (1/2 acre) is recommended.
9. Check the traps on a regular basis, at least twice a week. Top up the liquid in the bucket to the 3cm depth as and when required. One lure should last between 6-8 weeks.
1 x Trap and 1 x Lure
1 x Refill lure
1 Lure will give you around 6 weeks protection
Trap and Refill
1 x Trap and 2 x Lures
For all other items, we will either charge £4.98 for standard items, £6.99 for large items and £14.99 for oversized items.
The correct delivery charge will be applied in the checkout.
*some additional charges can be applied for larger and heavier items to highlands and islands.